Summer Time Snacks
Welcome Summer with the Healthiest Pool Side Snacks
Memorial day is the unofficial start of summer and pool season! There is not much better than beating the heat with long days at the beach or relaxing beside a pool. While every season has its challenges when it comes to staying on track with your nutrition and health goals, eating at the beach or at your local pool has tripped up my clients in the past so I have compiled a list of my favorite pool side eats! A little bit of prep goes a long way and will prevent you from eating unhealthy snacks and also overeating in the evenings, since the pool and sun can drain your energy and make you easily tempted when you get the inevitable, “what’s for dinner” the minute you walk in the door.
Let’s start with healthy snacks to throw in your cooler bag for your beach/ pool days!
Tis the season for FRESH Fruits & Vegetables!
- Consider small containers of fresh-cut melon, sliced oranges or apples, cleaned berries or my personal favorite fresh pineapple cubs.
- You should also take a small bag of Persian cucumbers, celery and cherry tomatoes. All of these vegetables and fruits also contain water, electrolytes and vitamins to help hydrate you and give you energy!
“Snackle-boxes for Kids”
- This new trend is blowing up on social media and for good reason. Small bento boxes full of fresh fruits, vegetables, cubed cheese, crackers, deli meat, goldfish, and other foods allows kids a lot of choices without having to bring large containers of multiple options. Check out an entire blog of ideas HERE
Use that FANCY Mug for a High Nutrient Smoothie!
Smoothies are my favorite pool-side companion! Made with the correct ingredients they can keep you full for hours without needing snacks. Here is a tropical poolside recipe that can also hydrate and nourish you while you relax in the sun!
High Protein Watermelon Smoothie:
- BLEND the Following (and pack in an insulated travel mug to keep it cool): 1 cup of unsweetened coconut water, 1 cup of fresh watermelon, 1 scoop of Isopure infusions Watermelon Lime (linked HERE), a few fresh cucumber slices (no skin), 2-3 fresh mint leaves, ice
The Classic Sandwich
- For days where you are out in the sun all day, snacks might not cut it. Enter the classic deli sandwich. Sandwiches are easy to make, take up minimal cooler space and can also keep you fuller longer then snacks. Choose high fiber breads, vegetables, low fat spreads and high protein deli meat.
- Jessica’s Classic Sandwich: 2 slices of Dave’s Killer Bread, thin sliced with 1 teaspoon of Paleo-Mayo, 2 teaspoons of yellow mustard, Applegate farms nitrate free roasted turkey, 1 slice of 2% provolone cheese, lettuce, cucumber, pickles!
The BEST popsicles and frozen treats!
This is ICE CREAM season but we know frozen treats can be filled with fat and sugar so here are some of my favorites to get that ice cream/ popsicle fix without using up to many calories.
- BEST Frozen Yogurt Bar: Yasso Cookie Dough Bar
- BEST KIDS Popsicle: Chloe’s Strawberry Lemonade popsicle (Found at most grocery stores)
- BEST All-Fruit Juice Popsicle: GoodPop Organic Freezer Popsicles
- BEST Homemade Viral Trend: Cottage cheese Ice Cream (this is INCREDIBLE)– Check out the recipe HERE
I hope this helps you guys start your summer on a FUN and HEALTHY note and embrace the beauty and FUN of the summer season while also honoring your body and your goals. Remember this is a lifestyle and we need to embrace it every month to continue to Be > Yesterday!
-In Health & Happiness – Jessica Murgueytio, Registered Dietitian, Rehab 2 Perform
JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK – NUTRITION FOR OPTIMAL AGING GROUP HERE!
Nutrition Therapy Services
R2P is proud to offer individual nutrition counseling with our new registered dietitian, Jessica Murgueytio. Personalized nutrition helps your body function optimally and increases the body’s ability to heal and strengthen itself. Both In-Person or from the comfort of your home, get started with your Nutrition Plan Now. Learn More Here!